Friday, January 26, 2007

San Antonio Updates

SAN ANTONIO VENUE

So we survived our 2 shows in San Antonio. We were performing at the Laurie Auditorium on the campus of Trinity University. The venue is one of the stranger venues that we have performed at. We actually had a lot of fun during out 2 show...it was just the arrangement of the venue that was odd. It is an auditorium that is used more as a lecture hall...and is very well suited for lectures. (This is the point where I should probably say that it is perfect for a lecture hall...and I know this because I have actually been to a lecture in the venue. That was in my previous 'professional' life. And it's a story for another time.) ANYHOO...the layout of the place is so odd because we were performing on the ground level....flat on the floor...while the audience sat up in stadium seating. And they stretched almost in a half-circle around us. We did do a school show that had another batch of super cute little school kids...and both our audiences were very appreciative of the show. But I did think it was a strange enough set up to snap some pictures and show it to all of you. OH yeah...and the floor was UBER slick! So that added an element of fun, too.

So here is a look at the stage from the front row of seats. See...how it just goes from floor to stage? We are LUCKY the rabid fans didn't RUSH the stage at the end of the show. Phew.

A couple of views from the stage looking out to the audience. Um....duh.

Here's the cast in San Antonio.

And....here's some of the cast down near the dressing rooms....following Jeffrey in some kind of arm-swinging-warm-up-thingy. Not quite sure? Let's check out the VIDEO!





Um...here they are in action. I think it's safe to say that Jonny is having the most fun out of this entire group.

SAN ANTONIO DAY OFF

So today was our day off in San Antonio...and it coincided with one other event...which I am going to grit my teeth and tell you about now. Today, our day off, was actually my birthday. Now...I'm not a big birthday guy. I get EXTREMELY uncomfortable at the celebration of my birthday...and I can't explain why and it surprises people...and yeah yeah whatever. The bottom line is that I never like to make a big deal about it being my birthday. But because everyone kept asking me what I wanted to do, I decided to rope everyone in to going to see STOMP THE YARD with me...since I've been wanting to see it since it opened, and I figured you can't really deny the birthday boy his wish!

Before the movie, I slept in, and then had lunch with my friend, Ann Knoebel who works at Trinity University here in San Antonio. Ann and I used to work together while I was at the speakers bureau. I would help her with her speakers details that she had coming to her conferences and events here at Trinity. She took me to a really great local Mexican restaurant, and it was DELICIOUS...but more than the food, it was great to catch up with Ann and laugh with her. Post-lunch, I spent some time at the mall...doing a little shopping for myself before the movie.

AND.....people....it was MOVIE TIME! All I'm going to say is that it was SO much better than any of us thought it was going to be...and we had a really great time watching the movie. On the MASE, for what it was, I would give the movie a 9. That's right...a 9! And I am happy to report it. The dancing was fun...the script was ok...the acting was not that great but not horrible...and we all had a fun time cheering for the 'good guys' at the National Step Team Championships. What more could I ask for on my birthday?

Here we all are AFTER the movie...celebrating the magic of STOMP THE YARD!

WELL...I guess the only other thing I could ask for was dinner at Chili's. And that wish came true, too! So all in all, it was a nice, low-key happy birthday for me!

Excuse me for another personal indulgence...but I need to send a HUGE thanks to my cast and crew for making it a memorable day...and to the family and friends who I talked to today or got emails and notes from, the sincerest thanks for everything. (And to those that I talked to twice, because the first time you didn't realize it was my birthday until you spoke to your wife who reminded you...it was great to speak to you TWICE! Carlos.) I've now been around for a good while....and I've come to the conclusion that my life has been extremely blessed and enriched by the friends I have been lucky enough to have around me at different times in my life. From Boise to Washington DC and beyond. From DirecTV to the Washington Speakers Bureau. From my community theater life to my professional theater life. From all my dear friends who have supported my dreams and my path that has gotten me to this point...I love and appreciate the examples you are to me and the support you've been along the way! Thank you ALL for 33 years of laughter, memories, adventures, tears and LIVING! Here's to many more.....

MUCH love - G

Roe can hardly WAIT for the movie. OR to dance around the May Pole.

So come Chili's....it was time for everyone to get their DRINK ON! UM...but does someone see something backwards here? My Felicia...that is a BIG drink you have. Compared to Jonny's baby maragarita.

You know a party is going well when everyone looks as happy as THESE 7 folks! Well, either the party is going well...or the alcohol is flowing well. You choose.

Here we are...the entire group of 12. LIVE from Chili's.

More fun. L: Roe explains that SOMEONE had a good time at the Mexican Market! Thanks ROE! LOVE YOU! R: Craig gets caught up in a Felicia-Jodi Hug! And evidently, decides to call it a touchdown.

AND FINALLY....

I had to share these pictures with you all! I got an email from my friends, Steve and Allison - and the email had these pictures of their daughter, Louise...wishing me a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from their home in Washington DC! I mean HONESTLY...could there be a cuter baby out there? Enjoy the pictures. Thanks Steve and Allison!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,
Sorry I missed your birthday...looks like you had a great day. You think you have been around a long time, "you ain't seen nothin yet!". I wish you many more years of good friends, good fun and much happiness. Happy Birthday (a little late)....Mom Sizemore

Fri Jan 26, 07:28:00 AM EST  
Blogger Tara* said...

Happy Birthday, Matt! Have I told you recently how much I love you for being older than me? It looks like you had a great day, I hope the whole year is just as awesome!

Lots of love, Tara*

Sat Jan 27, 12:01:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home