Sunday, January 21, 2007

Some Quality Texas Time

Well, OPENING NIGHT was a smashing success! Houston LOVED US! We had a great time in The Space City...exploring and doing our own thing. The real treat of Houston was the close proximity of our hotel to the theater we were performing at. From the time we arrived into Houston until we left on Saturday, I didn't spend one MINUTE in the van...because I was hoofing my way around the greater downtown Houston area!
Our audiences in Houston, both school and public, were very appreciative and excited about the show. And we had a limited amount of mishaps and shenanigans going on, so that's awesome, too. And as soon as we got started in Houston, we were DONE! So we packed up the van and trucks and headed Northwest to Austin for a couple of quick days. I think we were all sad to get to Austin, see how much fun awaited us here, and realize that we had to cram it all in to like 48 hours! We all did our own exploring of the restaurants, shops, sites and clubs. I took sometime and went to eat last night at a Mexican restaurant called RIO GRANDE. What makes it so special? WELL....they put it in the house of the MTV Real World AUSTIN cast. It probably means nothing to most of you, but to those of us who love our pop culture, it was kind of a fun event.
Today in Austin, we saw the sun for like the first time since we've been in Texas! Plus it was actually warm - which it hasn't been for 2 weeks...so that was nice, too! Tomorrow it's back to rain - and off to San Antonio...but for one day, we had the sun. AND we also had Lance Armstrong and his daughters at our first show. So that was fun, too. That's right - we're a PRETTY BIG DEAL...if you hadn't heard!
Enjoy this picture collection of our time in Houston and a few shots of Austin.
And have a great Monday!
G

LOOK what came in the MAIL!? Our OFFICIAL White House photos. And yes, that's ME hiding back there behind Tara's big pink bow.

So in Houston, I went shopping out at Rice Village. And while I was there, I kept asking everyone in the area for a recommendation for a great BBQ lunch. EVERYONE, without fail in the area, recommended GOODE COMPANY BBQ. And the directions they gave me were to walk one way a long ways and when you see the BIG armadillo, you've arrived. But take note that the big armadillo isn't actually the BBQ joint...it was across the street from it. And then I wondered HOW BIG is this armadillo. And I found out.

And sure enough, LOOK what was right across the street.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm....some of the most amazing BBQ I've EVER had. And that jalapeno cheese bread...MAN! Good. high 9 on the MASE!

Roe and I spent a rainy afternoon exploring the area around the Wortham Center where we were performing. Here is Roe with a little water reature and the fog around part of the skyline in the background.

Here is the big MARQUEE out front of the Wortham Center! And here is WONKA!

The Roe and I found the George H.W. Bush Monument near the venue and spent some time looking and taking pictures.

A couple of different angles of the monument.

Ok, I know I took it...but seriously...I LOVE this picture! Bush 41 surveys the Houston he helped build. That is art, people.

My 2 favorite quotes from the monument.

Roe and I were happy to come and learn at his feet.

Felicia and I spent some time exploring the next day, too! And we found our show poster at the Houston Visitors Center. I'm HAPPY to find the poster...and Felicia is sad. I think either because she's not in it - or because I took a blurry picture.

Houston City Hall. Why? Just because....

OK here's a statue I saw at the Symphony Hall in Houston. And...it kind of freaks me out. I feel...lop-sided when I look at it. It's just weird. Anyone with me here?

As opposed to THIS statue...in the Theater District...that I LOVE! I mean, this is a cool statue. But I never realized the Man of LaMancha played the cello. Who knew?

Jonny shows off his best 'TEXAS".

Chuck and Mary Banker brought the grandkids to the show! It was fun to see Christy and Brian's dad - and the kids LOVED the show! Thanks for coming, Bankers!

Felicia, Katie and Jonny strummin' a tune in downtown Austin!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I dedicate this photo to John Loughney.

Shots of The Paramount Theatre in Austin...with Katie, Rachel, Felicia and Jonny out front! THANKS JP Morgan Chase.

The last hint of SUNLIGHT, touching the Texas State Capitol building.

For those who were looking, and having trouble finding some place that allowed it.

For more info.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up with that statue's boobie? Weird...

Mon Jan 22, 01:16:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I love dedications. And I love "your mom". And I love Jimmy Johns....all in that order.

Your OAG friend, John

Mon Jan 22, 02:56:00 PM EST  
Blogger Nate and Sina said...

My mother-in-law who is currently visiting said she watched your performance on CSPAN when you were at the White House. Your are now, officially, world famous (because she is in Paris with us now).

Tue Jan 23, 07:10:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home