Monday, December 05, 2005

A Frozen Lake...And A Special C.O.T.U.



So I know right off you're all wondering, since there were NO reports over the weekend, if we SURVIVED the 3-show-day in Saint Cloud/Saint Josephs, MN on Friday. LUCKILY...or unluckily, depending on who you are and how you feel about any one of us...we did survive. The shows were good. Our first show had a funny little problem right at the first, when the light board seemingly froze up. The lights in the house went down, and the kids got all excited and restless, and then the lights on stage, which would normally dim, just stayed on. Once they realized the problems, they started working on it, but as they did, the lights on stage would fade out, and the kids would all CHEER...and then a few seconds later, they would come back on, and the kids would do a collective, "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!" The problem with the lights actually lasted about 10 minutes...but Torg finally figured it out and we got on with the show. It was pretty funny, every time the kids would cheer, and then groan, as we 'teased' them with the lights. And I'm pretty sure that a few kids even got to the BOO-ing stage of waiting...as I probably would have.

Fun backstage...with PUFFED CORN! Jen and Chris play catch, as Tara does the tossing! We are a crazy-fun bunch!

More backstage fun! L: Jen and Eric cozy up for a shot. R: Tara relaxes in the...salon hairdryer...that each dressing room had...for..um...some reason....weird....

I did have a chance to see an old high school friend, Amy Archibald (Pickering is her last name now) who lives in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. She and her husband, Robert and their 7-month old son, Andrew, made the drive over to see our evening show, and we had a chance to visit and have dinner before the show! It was so much fun to see Amy and her family - and for those of you who know her, she seems to be the same ol' Amy...with one of the cutest little boys I've seen in a long time! And Andrew was a fan of the show. Amy said he danced all the way through it. It's JUST that magical, folks. Thanks for coming to the show, Pickerings! So good to see you.

R: Amy and Andrew strike a pose for me at the St Cloud Mall. R: Me and the Pickerings, post show. Looks like baby Andrew is DRUNK WITH JOY after coming out of the show.


The drive to Detroit Lakes was, first and foremost, late. Secondly, it was fine except for the last stretch that should've been about 20 minutes or so...but it turned into being about 45 minutes to an hour. Why? Well, up here in Northern Minnesota, the roads were icy and the snow was falling and it was a slow-go because of the conditions. And a HUGE thanks goes out to Chris Sizemore for getting us here in one (big) piece. Good driving, Risto!
Detroit Lakes brought our day off - and for the most part, with the cold and wind and temperatures dipping below a level known as ZERO, it brought a lot of sleeping, resting, chilling and eating. Some of us ventured out to the 'mall' downtown (with about 10 stores...and the WORST CHINESE RESTAURANT I'VE EVER BEEN TO!), and to explore the downtown a bit - and I'm here to tell you that it is NO Cedarburg. Later, a group of us went back to the 'mall' to see a movie (Aeon Flux - very entertaining...a 7.5 on the MASE) at a strange little movie theater. And yet another group of us ended the night back downtown at The Becker - the highly recommended and hugely disappointing sports bar and grille in downtown Detroit Lakes. Some of the food was ok...once we found something on the menu that they actually had (potato skins? Don't have them. Prime Rib? Naw. But they can sub a steak. Cheesecake? A direct quote: 'If we had it, I'd have eaten it all up already.' Thanks crazy waiter man.) And I'm sorry, but there is something about Wisconsin and Minnesota and their waffle-cut fries. 1) They really love them; and 2) they do them well, and often.

SAD BUT TRUE: This fish was the HIGHLIGHT of the Detroit Lakes Mall. Here we are: Elisa, Chris, Jackie and I each showing off our PRIZE CATCH. I'll be honest...it's strange. No lie.


Sunday morning I made my way to the little Mormon Church here in Detroit Lakes, and as luck would have it, the Organist didn't show up, due to living a far distance away and the roads being bad, and so the small congregation was getting ready to sing the hymns with a tape recorded version...until the man conducting asked if anyone played that piano that could help out. WELL - I had to be honest...I DO play the piano, and in my heart of hearts, I could NEVER forgive myself if I had let those people sing Christmas hymns with a recorded version. So I became the pianist for the Detroit Lakes Branch for one morning in December. And with it came thanks to my parents, for making me stick with it - and offers for help finding a home and job if I would stay and play every week. TEMPTING....but.........
Our public show on Sunday at the Historic Holmes Theatre was fine. The crowd was full and fun - and no one seemed to mind that Tara decided to RIP the arm off her Oompa Loompa during the final Oompa kickline. And it tickled me...so it was WELL worth the abuse.

So...no joke...this is the men's dressing room at the Historic Holmes Theatre. Just a part of the whole experience...


Tomorrow, we have one morning show - spreading the good word of Wonka to the schools of Detroit Lakes - and then we pack up and head to our next state/city - SIOUX FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA! And from the research I've done online tonight, it actually looks like it could be a fun stop!
I do have to give a HUGE shout out to my niece, Samantha! She turned 14 on Saturday - which is both very exciting and very sad, because it makes me feel old! I DID talk to her on her birthday, so this isn't to make up for missing it...but I had to tell her HAPPY BIRTHDAY! She is a really cool 14 year old - a soccer and basketball star - a musical genius on the guitar - and more than anything, a beautiful young woman who is a good friend! What more could you ask for!? Can't wait to hang at Christmas with you, Sam!
That about does it from Detroit Lakes. The trains are rumbling by outside my window...and as Jen pointed out...it's most likely the Polar Express. I just don't remember it RUNNING so many of them in the movie! Oh well...we leave the frozen lakes of Detroit Lakes tomorrow...for PROBABLY the frozen waters of Sioux Falls...
More adventures to follow....
later.
G


One of the 2 Detroit Lakes...frozen over. Those black specs are ice-fishers. No WAY I was walking out that far. I just wanted to go out far enough to say that I was on it.


Elisa and I both took our turn standing on the frozen lake! So that was about the extent of the fun here....


So this is a photo journey. After the unfortunate experience at The Becker, I took both Chris' and Jen back to the frozen lake...because it's the most fun I had here. Here is Puppetmaster Chris demonstrating proper snow angel technique ON THE FROZEN LAKE. Brave. That is what he is.


L: Here is the lake group...complete with my breath...giving the picture a misty effect. GENIUS photography. R: And, without the special effects. (PLEASE NOTE: it was about -3 degrees at this point of the night...GOOD TIMES!)


Being as helpful as possible, Chris takes a few jumps up and down, to make sure the ice is thick and safe. I only heard it crack ONCE...so we're good to go....


OR ARE WE? Here is the group pulling Chris out of the lake. (PLEASE NOTE: no one was actually in frozen water for this photo shoot. It's called TRICK PHOTOGRAPHY...Chris was safe the entire time....)


Jen begs us to stay on the frozen lake a LITTLE bit longer! (While my breath hangs in the air.....stunning....simply stunning....)


So, right behind the Krispy Kreme display at the Citgo Convenience Store by our hotel...and to the LEFT of the coffee machines...is this selection of LIVE FISH FOR BAIT! I mean PEOPLE! this is the year 2005...almost 2006! Do my Gino's Pizza Rolls and my LIVE FISH FOR BAIT have to be RIGHT next to each other? PLEASE.....


Tonight, Chris, Tara and Elisa headed out for a game of snow football. Because who DOESN'T love a good snow football game at -2 degrees below zero.

ACTION SHOTS! Top L: Elisa goes for the quaterback sack of Chris. Top R: Tara DIVES for the ball. Bottom: Tara DIVES for the ball again.

And...more of the Snow Football Team. A huddle...to keep warm...and a pyramid...to...um...stack up for some reason....

So these are shots from our lobby here in Detroit Lakes - at the Country Inn & Suites. They are fine hotels - we've stayed in a few of them. But this one seems to have had a Beanie Baby Factory EXPLODE in it. And it's a bit creepy...I can't really explain why...but they are EVERYWHERE!

AND NOW...FOR ANOTHER 'CASE OF THE UNFORTUNATES' - CHRISTMAS EDITION:

WOW! that's all i can muster on this one. WOW!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, glad to see ya'll are getting a taste of the winter life in MN. I would like to point out that those black specs on the ice most likely did not get there by people pushing them. They probably were towed behind a car or truck. Yes, folks drive on the frozen lakes here in the winter. OK, I have to admit, it still makes me nervous and I've been here 13 years now.

One final question: have you noticed that when it gets REALLY cold, you can inhale through your nose and it sticks (just for a sec.)? THAT'S how I define "cold". At -3, you're getting pretty close to reaching the "cold" temperature.

Stay warm,
- MN Cousin

Mon Dec 05, 09:18:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW is right! That is REALLY unfortunate! Wow.... Anyway, I hope your experience in Sioux Falls is good. This is probably the closest you'll be to my hometown, Spencer Iowa. Whenever we decided to do some serious shopping, we would drive the 2 hours to Sioux Falls. They have a good mall, though I'm sad to report I've never visited the actual Falls there. Take some good pictures for me!

Sharon S.

Mon Dec 05, 10:08:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow on many counts, wow it looks cold out there. Wow that truly is a case of the unfortunates. I'm not sure what is making me laugh more, your posting or the image in my mind of you seeing that and then trying to get a picture. Stay warm and have fun in South Dakota!
Brendan

Mon Dec 05, 12:11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my wildest nightmares, I couldn't imagine wearing those pants. Not even in the comfort and safety of my own home. This is truly unfortunate!

And I have to second Brendan, I don't know which is funnier: the pants, or you sneaking a picture of the pants.

Stay warm!
Kat

Mon Dec 05, 02:36:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, don't you wish NOW there had been a live bait machine OUTSIDE instead of the live bait IN the convenience store right next to your pizza rolls???

~SS

Mon Dec 05, 04:41:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is my new favorite past time. I pee a little bit everytime i look. Misssss youuu hope your having fun -- sounds like you are.

Tue Dec 06, 11:40:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS-- I have those pants.. I really dont understand whats so funny.

Tue Dec 06, 11:49:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home