Friday, November 25, 2005

Giving Thanks In Madison



Hi Friends.
Thanksgiving 2005 has come and gone...and the cast of Willy Wonka has a very chill (both literally AND figuratively) day. The high today here in Madison was at about 18 degrees...but does that really matter when you get to sleep until noon, watch TV the rest of the day, and go eat a big ol' Thanksgiving dinner with NONE of the clean up? I think not.
Puppetmaster Chris found a local restaurant called Essen House - which is a German restaurant in Madison - that serves a full family-style Thanksgiving dinner. Since Jackie left and Emily wasn't feeling well, it ended up being 10 of us at the Essen House. The food was as good as we were going to find away from home...they brought out a full turkey and all the sides - mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, vegetables, rolls and stuffing - and the ended the dinner with either a pumpkin or apple pie. So foodwise, we were set. The real 'tragedy' of the day was our waitress...who really could've cared less if we were there or not...and spent as LITTLE time as possible helping us. But we had a nice dinner - and we're all looking forward to spending Thanksgiving 2006 together, where ever we all are. HAHAHAHA. For your viewing pleasures, a photo gallery of all us turkeys is below.
After the dinner, a group of us went to the movies. 3 different movies were viewed - but I am only going to talk about the movie that I saw. It was RENT...and it was NOT good. On the M.A.S.E., I gave it a low 4. Now I hear those of you out there who know I didn't like the stage show saying, 'You didn't like the stage show...' - and that would be true. BUT - Eric, who did like the stage show did NOT like the movie either. It was ridiculous...with a lot of dumb 'changes' for the film. Hated it. And that fact that it was 2 hours and 15 minutes did NOT help.
To close up shop tonight, I want to leave a list of the things I am thankful for this year. This is not a final list...just a list of random thoughts as I type. If you find something not listed, and you want to find out if I AM thankful for it or not, please don't hesitate to ask.

-I'm thankful the movie, RENT, finally ended...it felt like it never would.
-I'm thankful that I have a family that keeps in touch and that we genuinely enjoy talking to each other.
-I'm very thankful for the wonders of technology, and that it allows me to keep in touch with friends and family.
-I'm thankful for the Canon Digital Elph...and my wonderful friends at WSB for the gift!
-I'm thankful that I have been given the chance to use my talents to chase my dream...and that it allows me to explore this area of the country.
-I'm thankful for the freedoms I enjoy in America...and that there are people who have fought and died for my freedoms.
-I'm thankful that I was raised by parents who taught me the importance of my faith - and how to live a life based in it.
-I'm very thankful that I have friends that know how to laugh and keep me grounded.
-I'm thankful for really GREAT TV's show that come out as DVD sets later (Need I mention FAME again? Or Arrested Development? American Dreams? SO thankful!)
-I'm thankful that our tour has a tech crew who is good at what they do!
-I'm thankful for a stage manager who continually is willing to go to bat for us as a cast.
-I'm thankful to have a cast to work with that I consider friends, as well.
-I'm thankful to have nieces and nephews who are my friends and who continually keep me entertained.
-I'm thankful for the opportunity I've had to live abroad.
-I'm thankful for the jobs I have had...for what I've learned from each of them...and for the people those jobs have brought into my life.
-I'm thankful someone invented the airplane. I don't mind driving places...but I LOVE flying.
-I'm thankful that I have music in my life...and that I have been taught how to make music.
-I'm thankful that Tara has been on the first half of the tour...so that we can say we 'knew her when.'
-I'm thankful that Chris gets to do the 2nd half of the tour...he's a good sports friend.
-I'm thankful that Jackie can always make me laugh...even if it's onstage sometimes.
-I'm thankful that Andrew puts up with me in our room...and let's me watch my news.
-I'm thankful that Jen does as much as I do in this show...so SOMEONE really understands.
-I'm thankful that Eric is adventurous and forgiving...for our Springfield fun and for bad Reese Witherspoon movies.
-I'm thankful that Elisa is such a good listener...especially among our group of talkers.
-I'm thankful for mistakes, struggles, heartbreak and loss...they have made me stronger, wiser and, hopefully, better.

Thanks to all of YOU - for your support of all of us on this tour! I think I speak for everyone when I say how blessed we are for the support we get from you!
Best -
G

THANKSGIVING 2005 WITH THE WONKA TOUR:

The 3 stages of our turkey: New. Not New. Completely Done.


Elisa is SHOCKED at the golden goodness of our turkey. Chris gives the international sign to our waitress for "BRING OUR DANG TURKEY OUT!"


Everyone deep in thought and shoveling it in.


Elsa and Todd raise a fork and a mug to the things they are thankful for in 2005. Chris gets ready to do the same.


Torg works on stripping the turkey clean.


Andrew and Chris...looking very content post-dinner.


More happy customers...mainly because no one had to do dishes!


Eric and I give our best 'Bring On The Pie' faces.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt! I found your blog after getting your email-- thanks for passing this on. It looks like you're having a great time. And no one's blog has more clever writing/captions than yours. I used to travel to WI all the time and your pictures brought back some memories-- memories of "Extreme Pizza"! If you're still in Madison, order their Chicago style pizza and prepare for happiness. It's well, cheesey to say, but their cheese and crust make their Chicago style better than Chicago's! In other news that might interest you. Hil and I saw "Wicked" when it came to Dallas this fall. Now that I own the CD and every word to memory, I can tell you I'm officially hooked. Something tells me you've already seen it in NYC and are yawning as you read this but I had to tell you in hopes of sharing a "moment".

Take care, Dan

Sat Nov 26, 01:47:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too saw RENT. It was my first Rent experience. I would recommend the movie to NO ONE! The music and vocals were outstanding. The acting was forced and shallow. Buy the CD and enjoy. Do not waste your time or money on the movie! Those of you in musical theater should see it as a learning tool... on what not to do, but don't take anyone from outside of the "circle" to see it. What Moulin Rouge and Chicago did to draw the "average joe" in, Rent has ruined. Enough said on that. Sounds like the turkey found your tummy in WI. The blessings are bountiful! The friends/family abide. The show goes on. Life is wonderful!! Enough said.

Sun Nov 27, 11:58:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home