Thursday, December 22, 2005

Holiday Travel Day

Hi everyone! This picture is of me, sitting at the BWI airport, waiting for my flight home to Boise. For those of you who don't know my history with HOLIDAY TRAVEL, let me just catch you up by saying that EVERYTIME I have tried to fly home for the holidays the past 4 years, SOMETHING goes wrong...and I am delayed or flights are cancelled or aiports are closed or cities moved....you never can tell when it comes to my trip home! It's really turned into a game for me each year.

Today, so far, has been pretty low-key...but I am playing it on the OFFENSE today. For some reason, I got my ticket out of BWI (for those who know where I live, in DC, BWI is the WORST possible option for airports...because it is one million miles away). My friend Allison took me to Union Station in DC to catch the MARC train (basically a commuter train that has a stop at BWI - or close to it) - and from there I took a bus to the airport. My only REAL glitch was that my reservatoin wasn't in the system...but thanks to some QUICK research by my friend, RACHEL OLIPHANT, I found the info I needed and got checked in. I had allowed for a crazy day at security here at BWI - and I was in and out of the line in about.....4 minutes. SO - that was easy.

Now we wait....but I am sitting here watching people as I wait and I'm having the time of my life. There is a HUGE number of military men and women in the airport today - and they are in great spirits. I actually got a little chocked up a few minutes ago when I looked up and saw walking down the hall about 50 guys in fatigues...all with huge smiles on their faces heading to their gates, lauging and joking with each other. I'm pretty sure I could hear "I'll Be Home For Christmas" in their heads...and in a quick moment, I saw 50 families at home, with smiles even LARGER...getting ready to head to the airport...with signs, balloons and open arms. I'm pretty sure that in atleast 50 places today, tears of joy will be shed when these guys step off the plane. Heck! They've already been shed once by a fat kid in a brown sweater sitting in the airport! What a blessing to live in a country that has men and women who are willing to put their lives on the line to defend our freedoms - and freedom around the world!

Travel headaches or not, I love traveling at this time of year because of that darn 'holiday feeling' that is in the air. (Until the lady beside me yells at the flight attendant for more peanuts or something....I always end up by the angriest fliers, too.....) So anyway - the trip home is on! Hope you are all somewhere safe and warm and happy - and enjoying the warmth of family and friends at this special time of year. And rest assured that any travel stories I have will be shared with you in the coming days!

Merry Christmas, and God bless us...everyone! :)

G

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Matt!
I know its a day late but had to get it out there anyway. I hope your travels were uneventful and I hope the fam is well. Have a great time with your parents, brother and sisters, and neices and nephews. Give them all my best and have a great New Year.
Take State!
Brendan

Mon Dec 26, 10:40:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home