Thursday, February 09, 2006

Oh What A Night...

So today began our 4-day run of shows in Newark. We have 2 shows a day - and we are performing at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. It's called the NJPAC for short. Catchy, right? We're in the intimate Victoria Theater...and it's nice. Infact, if you want to REALLY know what it's like, see what the New York Times had to say about the space:



VICTORIA THEATER
"The 514-seat Victoria Theater is a gem of more modest size and cut. (It is) a smoky amethyst of a room, with walls of gray and rose brick and seating upholstered in an iridescent fabric that shifts in tone from green to plum."--- Herbert Muschamp, The New York Times
There is nothing too exciting to report from the smoky amethyst room...both shows were full and the crowds seemed to enjoy the shows. Besides almost taking a TRAGIC bubble spill, and taking Eric on the ladder down with me, the shows went off with out a hitch.
Tonights entertainment took me BACK into NYC...because, remember, we ARE in Newark. I met up with my friend, Karyn Mann. I have known Karyn since like 1992 or something crazy like that. (We went to Ricks College together. Karyn is originally from Rexburg, Idaho.) She lives here in NYC - she does something in Corportate America - and she is one of my most favorite people to catch up. Sometimes we can go weeks or months without speaking to each other, but when we get together, it's like no time has passed! Karyn had me meet her at one of her favorite NYC locations - a bar/restaurant called VYNL. (Sounds like VINYL. Tricky, right?) It's a fun, kitchy, colorful restaurant - with a very diverse menu and it all looked good to me. I ended up getting the SPECIAL of the day - the Chicken Parmegana Sandwich. I asked the waitress how it was, she said ( and I quote), "UN-believable." And right there, I knew I couldn't pass up the promise of UN-believable. It WAS pretty dern good. VYNL also has an exciting dessert menu (which is taped on to old 45's...records....which was fun) - complete with a Crumble Topped Cheesecake with berry sauce. Pics and review below.

So...here is the outside of VYNL. Cool, right?

L: So the MENUS at VYNL are old covers of LP's. BRILLIANT! But how do they do that? R: Karyn models the inside of the menu.

So this is from one of the 4 bathrooms at VYNL. It's the DOLLY BATHROOM. There is also a CHER, NELLY and ELVIS bathroom. The inside of each has that artists music pumped into that specific bathroom, a DOLL of the artist, like the Dolly Doll seen here, AND - hold your excitement - a MOSAIC of the artist! SO cool. Please see the DOLLY MOSAIC at the bottom of the blog.

Here is the Crumble Topped Cheesecake. Delicious. I would give it a solid 8 on the MASE. The crust, although a graham cracker crust like I enjoy, seemed to have almost a burnt flavor to it. But the fruit was delicious, the crumble top was a treat, and I'm happy we ordered it.

After dinner, Karyn headed to the movies and I headed up to 52nd Street - to the August Wilson Theatre - to see JERSEY BOYS! So Jersey Boys is based on the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. It uses their music to tell the story of the group - how they came together, how they made it big, and how the parted ways. It's cool because each 1/4 of the show is told from a different point of view of each of the Four Seasons. The show feels like half a concert (of their songs) - and half an actual musical. But all of their music is used...and you can't help but smiling and tapping your foot...or, like the older woman in front of me, singing along...sometimes loudly. The guys who play the Seasons are all amazing - but you've GOT to see it for the guy who plays Frankie Valli. That guy has a name: John Lloyd Young..and this is his Broadway debut. That RANGE! It's UN-believable!

Karyn and I grab a quick SELF-PORTRAIT before we part ways.

So...here is the marquee at the August Wilson Theatre.

Now, I know it's hard to imagine, but I'm sitting here ready to award this awesome show a full-on 10 on the MASE. That's huge...because that's the 2nd show in the past week I've seen that got a 10. (And don't forget that I also saw a 5 and a 6.) BUT here is how I am going to look at it...so you don't think I'm just HANDING them out now. The Light In The Piazza was from the 2004-2005 Theatre Season...so that is my 10 for the season. Jersey Boys is the 2005-2006 Season...so we're cool. Just know, if you've got the chance, catch Jersey Boys. You're reading it here - it's going to be BIG come awards season. And I'm PRETTY sure Mr. Young is going to walk away with the Tony in the NEW Category: UN-believable Range.

So...um...here is the Playbill.

And the insides of a brochure I got here at my hotel. It doesn't lie...this show IS a winner!

Now...I'm back in Newark safely and I'm ready to hit the sack...to prepare for 2-show-day #2.
So this is YOUR very own Jersey Boy (for the time being), signing out.
Bye Bye Baby -
G

SOOOOO...as previously promised...the DOLLY MOSAIC from the bathroom at VYNL. I want to go back to get CHER, NELLY and ELVIS, too. I will have to see how the rest of my week goes. The place was busy tonight, or I would've done it all then!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sparklebot said...

Don't even get me started with what happened to me in the Nelly bathroom.

Thu Feb 09, 12:50:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home