Friday, January 27, 2006

Free Time in Philly

Hi everyone!
So we've had a couple of days to RECOVER from our little freeway-shuffle on Tuesday night...and I finally decided to sit down and recap the past couple of days for everyone. I have decided to do it by DATE...and it's only 2 days...so it should be pretty easy to follow.

WEDNESDAY, JANAURY 25, 2006
Well, the morning after our 'major car accident', we had to do a show at Rutgers University across the river in Camden, NJ. From what I understand, Camden is where you go to die. Our morning started off magically, with the promised cabs not being there for us, so we had to jump in cabs of our own finding and get them to take us across the river.

Hoops and Yoyo decide to try some stage make-up out...after watching Andrew's regime each day.


Our show in Camden was really....strange. I'm not sure WHO decided to bring this show to the area and why they sold it the way they did, but we ended up with the first few rows being like 7th and 8th graders - and those of you who follow the blog or the show, you KNOW that is like 3 or 4 years TOO OLD! (There were some 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders there, but they put them up in the back of the theater. WEIRD.) So we had these first 4 or 5 rows full of kids who could care LESS...and who go bored with sitting there, so they decided to start talking back and laughing at us. At one point, when Charlie is going to open the 3rd chocolate bar to look for a Golden Ticket, in the silence before he opens it, a kid shouted out "EAT IT ALREADY!" So it was a great show day for us. We DID get a chance to have the Thompson Clan at the show, and it was fun to meet them afterwards! I asked one of Eric's nephews what was his favorite part, and he whispered, 'When he burped!' (pointing back up at Uncle Eric.)

Here is the Thompson Family in the lobby after the show!

But it wasn't only the Thompson Clan I got to meet yesterday! Andrew's brother, Matt, came up to pick him up - and Jackie's beau, Jake, came to pick her up! So I got to meet them all!


After the show, we somehow managed to get cabs BACK into Philly and find our way back to the hotel. And then, Erick, Chris, Andrew and Jill took off - heading to the DC/Maryland area for a couple of days...since we didn't have any shows until Friday. Jackie and I headed out to run a couple of errands and grab some lunch at Cosi, and ran into Jen, so the 3 remaining cast members sat and ate together.
That night, the people still here headed out to find a restaurant to eat at to celebrate my birthday. We ended up at a place pretty close to the hotel with really cool decor called 'The Continental Mid-Town'. It was just the first place we happened upon. It turns out the menu of the restaurant is what they call Global Tapas. What the crap does that mean anyway? The food was good - and we got a couple of free appetizers, because my food came out later than everyone else's...and it was nice to hang out with everyone.

The dinner crowd.

Jackie got this crazy blue drink at dinner. We tried to show it off - but the color didn't show up, so Chris and Travis tried to light it up with the table candle. Brilliant....


After dinner, Jackie and I ran down a few blocks to the Prince Music Theater here in Philly to see a production of DREAMGIRLS, that is getting some good press. We had a fun time at the show - although it wasn't the greatest production. I think my favorite part of the show was either the ladies around me talking BACK to the actors on stage ("GIRRRRRRRRRRRL!") OR Jackie and I re-creating the magical dance numbers after the actual show. We both agreed it was a fair production...and each rated it in the 6 area on the MASE.

Pretty self-explanatory.

L: Jackie and I after the show. R: Jackie shows Jen one of her favorite dance moves from Dreamgirls.

Um...just a bike we saw on the way back to the hotel. Sad, sad little bike.


Post show, we had a quick little cheesecake sampling celebration and ended the day! It really was a strange day...but luckily it was strange in an entertaining way!

Tara pulled together a delicious Cheesecake Sampler - and EVEN found something to write Happy Birthday with. There was a plain, a chocolate black cherry and a pumpkin piece. All had their strengths - the pumpkin was my favorite.



THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2006
Today I woke up at 1:30pm EST. That is right - P.M. Why? Because I can, could and did.
Tara has been in town with us since the accident, as a back-up/understudy incase one of the girls needed it, and I met her down on South Street to have a real authentic cheesesteak from Philly. Eric recommended trying Jim's - so we did and it was a hit. Enjoyable...friendly service...and quick!

Here is the cheesesteak from Jim's Cheesesteak Shop on South Street. I turn my back for ONE second to get napkins, and LOOK who scarfs down the first half of the sandwhich...

The rest of the day, I spent walking around Philly, seeing the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and the Betsy Ross House. Tara had to head back to the hotel, but luckily I brought Hoops and Yoyo with me, and they were REALLY excited to get to see some of the sites from our countries history. They were well behaved, and one man even asked, at the Liberty Bell, if they were little aliens. They were good sports about it, though, and laughed it off. Aliens? please sir!
Enjoy some pics from our day checking out the town!

When it comes to mosaic's, Philly is not even kidding. These things are EVERYWHERE around the South Street area - and there are even full-on building fronts that are mosaic-ed out!

L: The Liberty Bell with Independence Hall in the background. R: Hoops and Yoyo and the Bell. (This is right after the man asked if they were aliens. PLEASE sir! Aliens, INDEED!)

L: The Bell in sepia tones. R: The Bell and Independence Hall in B&W.

More Indepdence Hall.

A cool clock on top of I. H.

L: The George Washington statue out front of I.H. R: Hoops and Yoyo and Washingotn.

L: So when you FIRST come in to I.H., your tour guide tells you it's ok to take pictures, so EVERYONE walks in and starts photographing this first room - thinking it's THE room. And then you find out it's NOT the room. R: Then they walk you over to the actual ROOM - where the first congress was held...and everyone starts taking pictures AGAIN...

A black-and-white shot of the room. (looking at the back of the Virginia table...)

My SEPIA COLLECTION of The Room. (It's my favorite.) I walked around the rest of the day listening to the soundtrack to '1776'...I guess just because I'm lame like that. But I LOVED it!

Looking at the back of I.H. after leaving the tour.

I took a short stop at the Betsy Ross House. Hoops and Yoyo pose in front of the SIDE of her house.

The flag on the side of her house...with a sepia setting. oooooooohhhhh.....

Hoops and Yoyo take one last look at I.H. and wave good-bye.

Tomorrow, we pack up the NEW van - which, RUMOR HAS IT, is Army Green. Now that's different. We are heading to Bel Air, MD - and it's just Jen, Elisa and I making the trip - and the tech crew in the trucks. Everyone else is meeting us there tomorrow afternoon. It will be interesting getting everyones stuff to the van in the morning...but it might be even MORE interesting seeing someone navigate the 15 passenger beast around the NARROW streets of Philly. Tomorrow also marks the 2 week mark that we've been back on tour...which is INSANE...considering in that time, we've hit Connecticut, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, we've met Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, and we've been in a major car accident. That's enough excitement for a lifetime, and we've packed it into a mere 2 weeks! We rule.

GOOD NIGHT, PHILADELPHIA!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great birthday! I enjoyed the tour of Philly, it looked like Hoops and Yoyo enjoyed it also! Have a safe trip today.
Mom Sizemore

Fri Jan 27, 07:25:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, your final shot of Philly, sheer artistry. And you cracked me listening to 1776 while walking around historic Philadelphia. Have a safe trip to Bel Air and I can't wait to see the pictures of the new Army Green Van.
Brendan

Fri Jan 27, 09:56:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are okay. All in all I'd say you've almost seen it all.....almost! I miss you something fierce and often wonder what it would be like right now fi things hadn't transpired the way they did. but I'm keeping Florida warm and ready for you when you get here. It was over 70 degrees today and I'm sweatting my balls off. I'll take Burlington any day. Thanks for the doughnut holes Jen I hope you had a good time....or will. You other doughnut scrubbers though(you all know who you are) have some splainin' to do! Keep on keepin on

TORG

Fri Jan 27, 09:29:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew,

I have read the Philly story three or four times and miss the part where you stopped at the Prior TV and Radio shop to visit Jack Prior! What the crap?! If you failed there I am sure you said "hello" for me to Meg, JJ, Beth, Little JJJ, and especially Patty.

AD Forever.

Tim

Tue Jan 31, 03:53:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home