Monday, January 30, 2006

Olean vs. Olestra: Which Is A City In New York?


Happy End Of Weekend, everyone! This weekend has been PRETTY dern chill for the Wonka Cast. On Saturday, we took a drive from Bel Air, MD to Olean, NY - the home of St. Bonaventure University - where we will be performing on Monday. Considering our 'major car accident' last week outside of Philly, the drive up here has nothing really that interesting to report. It was very low key - there was a lot of sleeping - and Jill and I sat in the backseat of the van and watched some movies. We also had a discussion, as we were driving in to the Olean area, where we were trying to remember what that BAD stuff they put in potato chips recently was...and we finally came up with Olestra. But for awhile, I think we both were thinking it was called Olean. (And the real confusion comes when you realize that a company CALLED Olean MADE Olestra. Wow. Confusing.)

There was a LOT of sleeping going on this day.

Here's a game! It's called: GUESS WHO WAS DRIVING?

Elisa kickin' it in the back...with the common folk.

So our first night in Olean, we went to Applebee's - behind our hotel - for dinner. While there, I tried the "Raspberry Rapture Cheesecake." Um...sounds great...but poor execution. We had to SEND IT BACK one time, because it came out frozen. I give it a 4 on the MASE. And on the right, you can see our waitress friend, Lauren, presenting the cheesecake with Jackie. Lauren is not only a talented waitress - but in 2002, she won the New York State Short Sermon Competition - Youth Division. AMEN!

Anyway - Saturday, once we arrived, was a free-for-all, and Jill and I decided to be brave and head to a community theater production of TITANIC: THE MUSICAL here in Olean...performed by the Olean Community Theatre. Um...this is not the place nor the time for a review - and let me just say bless their hearts for trying - but for those who speak "MATT" - you'll know what it means when I say it received a LOW 2 on the M.A.S.E. from me - and a high 2 from Jill.


Sunday was a load in for the crew - so we had another day to kick it. I found church here in Olean - and after I got back, everyone headed across the street to the movies, Wal-Mart and other little shops to run some errands and catch some movies. And for dinner tonight, some of us went to the Chinese Buffet right down the road to celebrate CHINESE NEW YEARS EVE! Tomorrow is the first day of the Year Of The Dog...and our very own Andrew Frace is under the sign of the dog. Learn more about the DOG sign by clicking HERE.


L: Chris, Hoops, Yoyo, Eric and Jill enjoy New China Buffet. R: Hoops and Andrew monkey around at dinner.

Hoops and Yoyo are SERIOUS about their Chinese Food. They went to the food line more than Andrew did! Plus, they are both MEAN with the chopsticks. Very impressive.


That about does it. 2 shows tomorrow - and then off to BUFFALO...where I'm sure a trip to the ORIGINAL home of buffalo wings is in order AND a glimpse of Niagara Falls.




BUT WAIT - I have one other thing to share with you...that has NOTHING to do with anything here...but I was just remembering that I hadn't shared the KOREAN KARAOKE GIRLS with you all. To me, it's the funniest thing I've ever seen on the internet. I share it with everyone I can. I've probably seen it 100 times and STILL find it entertaining. Hope you enjoy it, too - and it helps get your week off to a great start!
And now - enjoy the pics from our trip....
Later!
Gussy

CASE OF THE UNFORTUNATES:

Um...so...grown man. Evidently staying at our hotel - and Jill caught him walking in from the parking lot. EVIDENTLY he'd just gotten done doing a children's party as Winnie The Pooh - but PEOPLE...come on! Wouldn't you change BEFORE you got back out in public? That way, you can avoid people, like Jill, chasing you down the hall at your hotel saying, 'MR. POOH! MR. POOH! CAN I GET A PICTURE?"


Somewhere in Pennslyvania, we came up on the Amish. And I can't explain it, but to this DAY, they still fascinate me. I could only stare - but luckily, Jill had her camera handy and snapped this pic! PHEW!


Um.....wow. (somewhere in pennsylvania....)


Hoops tries to catch the AMAZING sunset that we saw on our drive into New York.


Just some different shots of the sunset. It really was QUITE beautiful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Haven't been to the blog in a while, and I'd just like to say I enjoyed it...very much. It was funny. I like Hoops and Yoyo. They add a certain....je ne sais quoi. See you soon (maybe the eve of Feb. 6 if all goes well). Toodles. - Katie

Mon Jan 30, 09:29:00 AM EST  
Blogger ltezemer said...

absolutely fantastic! fantastic.
i, along with 'the boy' ventured to your wonderful off-broadway rendition of "wonka" and was thoroughly impressed! though, i must admit (with no intended offense to such talented performers) my favorite role goes to the grandparents.
kudos.
due to your passion for your craft, you have sent me into a mild tail-spin of introspection...
pause the bachelors to find solace in cirque or continue on this path called intellectualism merely for monetary gratification? i question the dualism, the ultimatum life prescribes-- veto the ordinary and seize both! strike it rich! rob a bank... or at least mug an old lady.
and please pass along the message to mr.wonka that he has a ‘scrumptious’ bum.
with love,
lauren.

Mon Jan 30, 04:56:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious about that "boob taxidermy". . . .
I'm curious about Andrews "scrumptious bum," too! Did Lauren see a rendition of the show that we didn't? Have you added something new?

Wed Feb 01, 12:27:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home