Thursday, November 02, 2006

Speeding Through OREGON

So, this is going to be the last of my CATCH UP entries...and it is going to bring you all right up to speed on our happenings. We've had 2 city stops and 1 scenery stop in Oregon...and today, you get a buffet of all of them! And then tomorrow, we hit the great state of California for our month long stay!

MULTNOMAH FALLS
So, we left Boise and headed West for Oregon. Our first stop was slated for Salem, Oregon, but along the way, we made a pit stop to see Multnomah Falls - just East of Portland. We arrived just before sunset and had an hour or so of really good light to see the falls - and for a majority of the cast to hike up to the very TOP of Multnomah. I've done it before, so I let the rest of them go. It was a beautiful stop - and a great way to end a day of driving!
A sign.
A few different shots of the falls...all of which have been Color Accented.
L: The Cast at the base of the falls. R: A color accented shot looking up.
The road less traveled by. AKA: The path to the top of the falls.
One last photo of the group on our way out of the park.
SALEM, OREGON
An amazing look at our bright green Red Lion Hotel in Salem.
Salem is the capital city of Oregon - and a stop for us that consisted of 2 days off! Hot damn and halelujiah for that! Everyone did their own thing with their days off...but mine consisted of eating, sleeping, movies, and catching up with a couple of old friends! We had 2 great shows in Salem on Monday and some of the most comfortable beds I've experienced all of tour! Salem, SADLY, was the city where we had to say GOOD-BYE to former-puppetmaster-turned-sound-guy Chris Schardin, from Wonka 1! It was so great to have him back with us and sad to send him back to the Alice cast! But we were also excited to get Buchman back from Scotland, as well!
The Oregon State Capital Building and grounds.
The Capital Rotunda.
A couple of fun statues on the grounds of the Capital Building.
Some Fall Foliage shots from around Salem.
Katie shows off the 'scar' from "The Incident." Please ask Katie for more details.
While I was in Salem, I got to hang out with my old friend, Abby Terry. (She is next to me in the people-picture.) Abby and I went to Ricks College together, and also since she's from Boise, we ended up hanging out in Boise alot while we were both back there living. Abby now lives in Roseburg (I think..) and was in Salem for a party so we got together for lunch at OLIVE GARDEN! And we found THIS seasonsally delicious cheesecake: Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake. It was good. NOT great...but a low, solid 7 on the MASE. Loved the ginger snap addition...but too much caramel and a lot of dripping cream brought the score down. (P.S. Abby also saw the show on Monday night...and I am SO thankful she made the drive back up to see it!)
The Papworth's come to Wonka! My good friend, Patti Papworth (in DC) is from Salem, and she had her mom and sister come see the show! Mom Papworth is on my right arm, and Patti's sister Shauna is great with child and on my left. Her husband, Wally, is holding the purse! Good work, Wally. Shauna and I were friends at school, too...so it was good to see her again!
Salem ALSO put me back in touch with another RICKS COLLEGE buddy. This is Chris Bishop and his wife Lennae and their 3 kids! Chris and I haven't seen each other in...a long time. 11 years or so. He is now a successful lawyer in the Portland area. It was awesome to catch up with the Bishop family - and grab some Coldstone, to boot. Magic. Thanks, guys!
Roe and Jodi strike a pose during our mic check in Salem.
Rachel gets caught singing her little heart out during mic check.

Our last night in Salem was also our last night with Schardin. SADNESS. R: The kids from Wonka 1 get a last-minute GROUP SHOT in.
Another random group shot.
Rachel was REALLY torn apart, having to bid Chris adieu.
THIS is where things started to get unclear to ME. Zaniness.
MEDFORD, OREGON
Our last Oregon stop didn't give us a LOT of time to explore...but it gave me a chance to get in touch with Parley and Katherine Hamblin, who live here in Medford. The Hamblin's were my mission presidents when I was a Mormon missionary in Charleston West Virginia. I haven't seen them since I left the mission in May 1995. SO....a pretty long time! They came and picked me up at our hotel last night upon our arrival, and we went to dinner and then I went and stayed with them at their house! It was SO much fun to catch up with them and look at old mission pictures and meet some of their family in the Medford area. I was most thrilled with the chance that they had to come to the show tonight in Medford at the Craterian Ginger Rogers Theater. They brought their daughter, Lynn, and her family and I got to talk to them all a bit after the show! I am so happy to have gotten to spend time with the Hamblin's while I was here. They played a key role in my life during my 2 years as a missionary...and although I haven't been the best at keeping in touch with them, I love and appreciate them for the example they have been to me and for the support they were to me as a missionary so far from home! And as Augustus Gloop...so far from home, again! Much love to you both!
A few different shots of the theater. I was testing lighting...AAAAAAAAND color accent.
Roe strikes a pose in front of the theater.
Here I am with the entire Hamblin group after the show!

Another shot of me and the Hamblins! It was NICE to take a picture with them and NOT have to be in a suit and tie!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the most fascinating things about your journey is the fact that you seem to know someone in almost every city you visit. How is that possible? On another note, you look like you're shrinking. I hope you're getting enough to eat! And staying warm....

Hugs, Kat

Thu Nov 02, 10:43:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew, glad to know that we are up to date! Its great to see the color accented shots, they are great. Hope the west coast is treating you well Matt. I'm currently in Dallas for an event, its magical. Take care!
Brendan

Thu Nov 02, 02:59:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great comments about the hotel in Salem. Saw you blog on my google alert. The Bright Green seems to scare some of the guests, but we are loving it. I attended the show with my 8 year old and you and your crew were outstanding. Hope to have you all back in Salem again!

Fri Nov 03, 12:07:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Katie...I assume that is the first "large truck meets overhang" incident thus far...sad day...as soon as I saw the picture of the "scar" I knew what had happened...sigh... STUPID TRUCKS!!! At least she didn't rip off a fast-food awning or pull the truck part-way over a parked car...I'm just sayin'...

Sat Nov 04, 12:11:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home