Thursday, February 23, 2006

My Time At Yale: A Photo Tour


So I'm back and I somehow have to wrap a couple of days kickin' around the campus of Yale university into a coherent blog entry! How can it be done? WELL...Luckily, Andrew left his camera for me to use while he went to New York City, so I have had 2 full days of taking it all in. Yesterday, Puppetmaster Chris, Jill and I hit the campus - and acted as smart as we could, so as not to tip anyone off that we weren't REALLY Yale students. (We even went as far as making various comments about our professors, exams, thesis papers and tests throughout the day...just to make sure no one was on to us!) And today, it was ALL ME - ALL YALE - ALL THE TIME! And I'm going to be honest - Yale is a better place because of my visit.
So now...sit back, scroll down, and enjoy my photographic tour of Yale University. It really IS a beautiful place...and you're reading it here first: I'm considering leaving the tour to make a triumphant return to college here at Yale. They keep ASKING ME...and so I'm considering it.
I'll keep you posted.

FIRST STOP...THE WELCOME CENTER, OF COURSE!


So this was a great place to start...although, in theory, we didn't actually START here. We just ended up here. But if any of YOU come here, START here. There is history and pictures and an explanation of the Whiffenpoofs and free bumperstickers and some student newspapers and stuff. We took a poll after we left, and 3 out of 3 guests in our party, INDEED, felt welcomed.

AND OF COURSE, WE NEED LUNCH!


So, on the GOOD WORD of my friends, The Rosman's (who led me to the magical coffee cake at Claire's), we hit Yorkside Pizza. And now, the Rosman's are 2-for-2. I had the personal tomato, spinach, feta, bacon pizza - and it was delicious. And what we didn't get in service was made up for in the food.


BUT...I was still hankering for dessert. So we made our way BACK to Claire's, this time during the day, and the joint was JUMPING! I had Jill get the Coffee Cake again, and I tried the chocolate peanut butter cake. Both were a hit - and I sampled the coffee cake again...and remembered WHY I loved it the night before. INFACT, the bite I had of Jill's was more moist than the night before...and it soundly bumped the Lithuanian coffee Cake experience up to a high 9. BUT the clincher...wait for it...I MET CLAIRE! THE ONE AND ONLY! And she was more delightful than both cakes put together! And she was SO excited that we were with Willy Wonka! THANK YOU, CLAIRE! For your hospitality and amazing cakes! (I can't tell a lie...I went back AGAIN today...mmmmmm......)

WE STARTED WITH...GENERAL BUILDINGS, ARCHITECTURE AND WANDERINGS...


So...these are just random shots from all around campus...as we wandered. I don't have a LOT of insight into it all...I just took the pictures because I was AMAZED at how beautiful each and every building it. So much character. So much charm. It reminds me a lot of Boise State University.


Top L: Chris wandering into an open courtyard-type area. See the church-looking place behind him? Well, we heard organ music - so we followed it, and braved opening the doors that said 'Yale Students and Staff Only'. Top R: THIS is what was inside. And somewhere, an organ was being played. BOTTOM: Nothing to do with the other 2 pics...just more cool architecture.


Some more looks at buildings...up close and personal. And of course, for that added effect, BLACK AND WHITE.


And...a couple more.


One of the more interesting/different buildings on campus. It houses the Yale Rare Book Collection and Library. For some reason, before I knew what it was, I was convinced it was going to have SOMETHING to do with TV.


Inside the Rare Book Building. Evidently they keep them behind glass or something. They make it really tough to get to those early Hardy Boys Series.

BUT THEN, OUR INTEREST WAS PEAKED...WHERE DID ALL THE SECRET GATES LEAD TO!?!?!?!?


So yeah...all over campus, there are these gates and doors. And there are people coming in and out of them...using little swipe-like cards to get in. So after our initial wanderings, we start to wonder...WHERE DO THEY LEAD!? And on the gates that are clear, you can see courtyards. SO - I remember back to my covert-ops training and at the first available chance, follow someone, in stealth mode, through one of the gates.


And this is what we saw (and thank goodness the camera has panoramic): A GRASSY AREA SURROUNDED BY BUILDINGS! Just as we suspected. And there were students, many students, WANDERING through those grassy areas, heading to and fro...carrying out their Yale duties. And we knew we were on to something big.

So then we did it a few more times...thanking our covert-ops training each and every time.

And get THIS! Some of these places didn't just have grassy areas. They ALSO had cool walkways in, near and around them. I snapped this photo JUST before a Yalie come OUT of those doors and headed towards me. I played it cool though...and said something about Socrates before turning and BOLTING.

Chris and Jill show off some the walkways and doors that we used to access these grassy areas.

OH YEAH! AND WHAT ABOUT THOSE SECRET SOCIETIES!

Do I hear you saying "WHAT SECRET SOCIETIES, Matt?" If so, read HERE before you move on to this SHOCKING expose. Through my Internet Research, I found the location of the 5 largest S.S. on the Yale Campus...and last night, Jill, Elisa and I did a reconn mission to check them out. And today, I went back for pics in the daylight.

This is the 'Tomb' for the SKULL AND BONES Secrety Society. You want some INTERESTING reading, go to GOOGLE, enter SKULL AND BONES SECRET SOCIETY, and read page after page after page of stuff about it. And rent the 2000 movie, SKULLS. And THEN come to me and tell me HOW THE CRAP I CAN GET INSIDE THESE BUILDINGS!!!

Here is the BOOK AND SNAKE Tomb or building or clubhouse. Again, GOOGLE BOOK AND SNAKE for more fun reading!

Some photos from our NIGHT TRIP to Book and Snake. The 3rd pic is an attempt at ART - the shadow of a tree on the side of their tomb. Can you HEAR the ghosts howling!?!?!?!?!

Here is the SCROLL AND KEY one. This one was the first one we came across. (And keep in mind, they all sit right on campus...) I thought it was a Jewish Temple - because there are Star of David-looking markings on the front staircase. And because I was totally into the reconn, in broad daylight, I walked UP to the doors, KNOCKED on them and then tried to open them when no one came. BUT to no avail.

This is the BERZELIUS place. Crazy old man Berzelius. At night, Elisa swears she heard music and saw lights on inside. I guess we'll never know.

And finally, here is WOLF'S HEAD. This one we DID see lights on. And there is Jill and Elisa, at the gates, right before Elisa scaled the wall. But not really.

AND AFTER SO MUCH WALKING AROUND, I FIGURED OUT WHY YALE KIDS ARE SO SMART! THERE IS SO MUCH TO READ ON CAMPUS!

That's right...everywhere I TURNED...there were words, words, words! That's how they do it...and now that I've cracked the code...let me show you what I mean.

Signs, posters, walls, sidewalks, entrances, exits, street lamps, cemeteries, the Guttenburg Bible...I mean there is NO shortage of stuff to be READ when you're at Yale. And some of it's even in OTHER LANGUAGES. CRAZY. I know.....

SO SENSING ALL THE FUN WE'VE BEEN HAVING, HOOPS AND YOYO DECIDE TO COME OUT OF HIDING AND SEE YALE FOR THEMSELVES.

Hiding, you ask? Yes. Why? Well, they have been a little on edge since the CAMERA incident in NYC. They were in the other pocket, and the Belching Chinese Man just missed them by INCHES. But they are back, and better than ever! See for yourself!

These 2 are thinking about leaving life on the road and enrolling here. I guess only time will tell.

AND FINALLY, A COLLECTION OF MISCELLANEOUS MAGIC FROM OUT TIME AT YALE.

Our show appears to be well-advertised around town.

Art ABOUNDS in New Haven. L: A cool thingy on the streets. R: Something Jill made at Yorkside Pizza out of straw wrappers.

A cool old cemetery by campus. I visited the grave of a signer of the Declaration of Independence, the Inventor of the Cotton Gin and the Father of American Football...JUST to name a few.

The ONE THING I've always said is that there just isn't enough Fraggle Rock Graffiti out there in America today. New Haven, sure. But nationwide, we're still lacking. And you KNOW how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fraggle Rock.

The Anti-Climactic Ending: Frozen water coming out of a pipe. Somewhere on campus. I'm sure something about it is profound. Ponder it, and get back to me with your thoughts.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel smarter from all the reading already. Thanks for the great shots of the secret societies, I am so INTRIGUED by them. I wish you could have used your covert ops to get in there!
Brendan

Fri Feb 24, 11:31:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home