Wednesday, February 22, 2006

PSYCH! NO Jackie Posting


SOOOOOOOOOO....Jackie has opted to do the blog TONIGHT for your reading pleasure tomorrow. So I had to pull my thoughts together and prepare something of note for you all.
And it's tough, when we had a pretty chill day. This was Day Off #2 on our New London stop...and it consisted of sleeping in, trips to Target, Quizno's and the Post Office, and then a small sight-seeing trip with Jackie, Jill and Chris. We headed out to check out YALE UNIVERSITY and to find the AMISTAD Schooner that is based here in New Haven. Well, we quickly found out that the Amistad is not docked here during the winter...but instead, up in Mystic, CT. So that was a bust. We did finally find the Amistad Memorial that was erected on the site of the jail where the slaves were originally held. It took us some time, and some awesome assistance from my brother, Tim...but we did it. A picture below, for your enjoyment. And we DID have a great drive around the Yale University Campus, pointing out why EACH person looked smart enough to be at Yale. OR...NOT smart enough. There were some doozies...but alas, I wasn't even THINKING of taking pictures! Jill and I are heading back tomorrow to explore a bit more and REALLY become students...for a day. Check back for more info!

Here is the Memorial...but the link above has better pics and more info.

For dinner, Jill and Chris took Emily back to the Playwrights place...Jackie took off and went to the Temple Street Grille, and since I wasn't really THAT hungry, I just wandered around downtown New Haven to explore it a bit. And what did I find when I turned the corner, but the restaurant, CLAIRE'S CORNER COPIA, that my friends, The Romsan's recommended. Well, lwe know I didn't want to eat dinner, which was fine because it's a VEGETARIAN place...but Elisa Rosman SWEARS by the Lithuanian Coffee Cake at Claire's, so I headed in to get some dessert. OH! But before that...next door, there is a little tourist info shop, and they had postcards, so I headed in to buy some, and just being friendly, I asked the lady if Claire's next door was good...and she kind of looked me up and down, sizing me up, and said very coldly, "It's great. But it's all vegetarian." Like she could just TELL that I was a meat eater. So, as not to create too big of a scene, I just punched her in the face and ran off....to eat a DELICIOUS vegetarian dessert.


OK - not a cheesecake...but my luck with cheesecake in New Haven is not good. So - the Lithuanian Coffee Cake was reviewed on the MASE and I would give it a HIGH 8. I felt like the cake was a LITTLE dry...but the frosting and cake together...AMAZING. And watching her BLOB the frosting on? Well, as Homer Simpson would say, "Mmmmmmmmmm....frosting......."

GET IT? Corner Copia!? Yale kids. S-M-A-R-T. Great little place...but note...it's COMPLETELY vegetarian, for all you carnivores.

Anyway...it was a low-key day, and tomorrow promises to be more of the same. Who knows what it will produce. Hopefully some good stories. OH AND! UPDATE: The camera has been sent to Canon. Now we wait for the email bill...and it's triumphant return. AND! I forgot to tel you the MAJOR pain of the day...I'm pretty sure I lost my Address Book. Like, not online. The regular old book...hand-written addresses...years of collection...and I think it's GONE. I lost it somewhere between Maryland and here. I'm guessing Staten Island ATE IT - as repayment for my bad mouthing it. I had to get the truth out, though. SOOOOO - if anyone sees it, please let me know. I've ripped my life apart looking for it. It's a LEFT HANDED ADDRESS BOOK - opening from the left. I know - tricky, right?

Well, that ends the days report. Thanks for checking in.
G.

3 Comments:

Blogger Side of Jeffrey said...

Some girls in my office were just talking about Fried Cheesecake and how amazing it is. Have you ever had this? Sounds interesting. Sorry to hear your experience at Playwrights Tavern was so bad.

Wed Feb 22, 04:50:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear jaymoo and stephoin,
i hope matt dosen't mind...but i would like to respond to your fried cheesecake question. oddly enough, matt has indulged. check out september's tulsa state fair blog. Just wanted to let you know matt...i have been paying attention.

Wed Feb 22, 06:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger MAnderson said...

hey everyone - when it comes to tour details, audrey is on the ball. it's true - we did try a fried cheesecake at the tulsa state fair WAY back in september.
it was pretty interesting. and well worth the $2.50.
the state of cheesecake in the northeast is sadly lacking.
i'll get over it....

Wed Feb 22, 09:51:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home