Monday, February 27, 2006

Weekend In New England


Well here's something to make your head spin...Friday and Saturday: 2 shows each day in Connecticut. Sunday: 1 show in Massachusetts. Monday: Travel BACK to New Jersey...this time we're headed for Mahwah. Talk to me about THAT tomorrow. But seriously...isn't that INSANE?
The shows in New Haven were great. The audiences were all very receptive and the venue was nice and all that jazz. And although I LOVED the days off and kicking around Yale and going to all those Secret Society functions, it was nice to be back at work and bringing the truth of Wonka to the people. It was actually pretty sad to pack up and leave New Haven...but mainly because it means leaving all that scrumptious coffee cake at Claire's. But I'll survive.
The coolest, COOLEST part of my time in New Haven was Saturday's last show - because my friend, Steve Stalder, and his wife, Kirstie and their 2 daughters, Savannah and Cora, came to see the show. They live in Danbury, CT - and made the hour-drive to New Haven to catch the show and spend a little bit of time catching up. Steve and I spent a couple of years as Mormon Missionaries in the Wild, Wonderful West Virginia Charleston Mission. I'm a little sad AND embarassed to say that it's been about 10 years since I've actually seen him. BUT - it was like no time had passed at all. And it was so cool to meet his family. I'm so glad they got to see the show! OH - and that we got to eat Chinese Food together...right by the piping hot radiator at the Chinese place around the corner from the theater. THAT is a memory that will stick with me.

L: Here is Augustus with the Stalder Family! R: Me, Savannah (dark hair) and Cora (blonde hair) kick it in the lobby.

Saturday after the shows we drove to New Bedford, MA and we woke up this morning, went and did our show and then everyone chilled. I watched the closing ceremonies of the Olympics tonight and, almost on cue, was emotional at the parts NBC WANTED me to be emotional at. Tricky TV Producers! But it was fun...I love watching the Olympics...but I secretly love the closing ceremonies the most because (as cheesy as it sounds), it's like these 2 or 3 hours where we're all the same. Meaning the world watches, and there are no medal winners or disgraced losers. There is just a bunch of people, from a bunch of different countries, in a stadium somehwere, waving flags and dancing to the danceable hits of blind classical singers and extremely blonde angst-free rockers. And I think...YEAH! We ARE the world. And we ARE the children. And we ARE the ones who make a brighter day, so darn it, let's start giving.

A final look at the Closing Ceremonies and the flame. GOOD BYE, TORINO!

So now we sit and wait...for 2 more years...for when we all come together in Beijing to do it all again - but THIS TIME, with the most amazing fireworks displays probably EVER!

And while I was interneting tonight, I found a very good AND hysterical article, wrapping up the entire 2006 Olympics. So take it away, Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports Columnist. I really enjoyed #5, #10 and #12...but the whole thing is worth the read.
So yeah - tomorrow, we're heading BACK to New Jersey...but we're sending HAPPY THOUGHTS that Mahwah turns out to be amazing and exciting. Why shouldn't it be? You gotta THINK POSITIVE!
OK - I guess it's bedtime.
Happy Monday to you all.

CHEERS!
G


So this is kind of like a BREAKING NEWS PICTURE: This picture was taken of Andrew at approximately 4:20am. Only MOMENTS before he rolled over, looked at the clock, and then looked at me and said, "You're insane."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home