Sunday, April 09, 2006

Loose Ends From Charlotte



So yeah...the shows in Charlotte went GREAT! We had 2 school shows on Friday, and 1 public performance on Saturday, and the audiences for all were really awesome! And the PEOPLE in Charlotte have been nothing but excellent to us! (Except that horrible woman at the box office window when I was trying to buy Alvin Ailey tickets...whom I wanted to punch. But that's another story.) After our Saturday show, they had a meet and greet reception, and everyone was so nice and accomodating - and spent much of the time trying to get us food and drinks while we signed autographs for the kids.
PLUS - I also had the chance to see a couple of friends in Charlotte that I haven't seen in some time! For those of you who know Mabeo Beard (who is now Mabeo Darby), I got to hang out with her and her husband, Darby. (Thanks for dinner, guys!) Mabeo helped me get HER job at the Kennedy Center a few years ago - so I was happy to return the favor with tickets to Wonka! HAHAHAHAHA! Not sure that was a fair trade. I was sad that I didn't get a picture with Mabeo and Darby - so please forgive me if you're looking for one. But they are doing well and liking Charlotte.
I also got to see my friend, Erin Bishop, and her boyfriend, Manny. Erin and I did a show in Washington DC together a few years ago - along with Joey, who you all met here when we were in New York City! The show was a crazy experience, but it was great to come away with 2 great friends like Erin and Joey! And a HUGE thanks to Erin and Manny for 1) braving the show; and 2) lunch at Merts! It was great to see you guys!

L-R: Manny, Erin and Matt. Pretty self-explanatory.


That's it - the rest is just random pictures from the rest of our time in Charlotte. And today - Sunday - we drove Northeast from Charlotte to Durham. Spring has DEFINITELY sprung on the East Coast!
Happy Monday.
Gussy


Here is a statue of Queen Charlotte - the inspiration for the name of the city of Charlotte. Read the story...if you want.


Friday after our shows, Jill and I went to The Green to hang out and read. And when I snapped this picture of Jill, while I was laying down, I decided this OTHER picture might look cool. You be the judge.




FOOD ORDERING TRAUMA! So if you know me, you know I just don't do seafood. BUT - you may know that every so often, I like some catfish. So Friday night, at Merts, I ordered the catfish - thinking it would be...you know...a filet. Answer is: WRONG! Here is how they came out - they cut off the head, pulled out the guts, breaded it and deep fried it. Tail - fins - bones - BLECH! Thankfully, our very nice waiter took it back and got me the blackened pork chops, instead. PHEW!


THEN - on Saturday...while everyone else was out getting drunk, Jill and I headed down to Soho Bistro - a Chinese restaurant - right down from out hotel. We went on the recommendation of Travis, our lighting director. Well, it was a HIT! And they have an extensive dessert menu. I ordered the OREO CHEESECAKE - and here it is. First off, the first bite was a bit frozen - which led me to the conclusion that the desserts aren't made in house. No biggie. BUT - it was a delicious little dessert...good mix of crust, Oreo and cheesecake. I would give it a solid 7 on the MASE.


So Saturday - after Chinese - Jill and I were walking past the Charlotte Library, and they had all these signs on the outside with quotes from famous authors and historians and the likes. Most of them were serious...but among them, I found these 2 little gems...which made me laugh outloud.


And someone even had a SURPRISE OUT OF TOWN visitor this weekend...all the way from Portland, Maine.

And today, in the van, this whole....THING...just kind of happened in a moment of boredom. I don't understand why...that's the first time ANY of us have ever been bored on a van trip.


YOUR VOTE HERE HELPS....but not really. This is just a cool 'EAT' sign that I saw on the street in Charlotte. So I decided to snap some different B&W shots of it...on different settings, lights, everything. You know - just for fun. BUT - I want to know which one you like best. So if you want to leave a comment with you 'vote', please do. Just tell me Top Left, Top Right, Middle Left, Middle Right, Bottom - OR simply write, 'I hate them all and stop wasing my time asking me stupid things like this.'
THANKS!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top.
-Sam

Mon Apr 10, 04:13:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mid Left if you crop it a little

Trav

Tue Apr 11, 05:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Exit Studio said...

I like the top left--blurry + neon = good. You're quite the lensman. I'm enjoying the arty photos as much as the witty commentary (and cheescake reviews). Keep up the good work!
Scott

Wed Apr 19, 10:10:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home