Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Low-key Travel Day



So today we packed up the van and headed from Durham, NC up to Huntington, WV! This is a 'return' to West Virginia for me, and I was excited to make the trip! It's been 11 years since I've been in this area, and the drive was a regular trip down memory lane. It was fun to see the Charleston skyline and see areas i lived, visited and frequented as a missionary. And just when I thought I wouldn't remember things, the memories came rushing back. It was wild.
Now we're 40 miles west of Charleston in Huntington, HOMETOWN of Christopher Sizemore. He is proud to have us here and to be able to show us around. PLUS - we are in the middle of a movie that is being filmed here...starring Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox. (And with Matthew Anderson here with Wonka, it's a BIG week for Matthew's here. We're getting together for lunch tomorrow.) The movie is called "We Are Marshall" - and it is about a plane crash that took the lives of 75 members of the Marshall University football team, coaches, staff, community members, and crew in November 1970. Click HERE to learn more about the accident and story. It's exciting to be here...and to see them turn this town into a movie set!
Tomorrow we have 2 shows - and then dinner at the Sizemore home! And I can't WAIT!
Below, please enjoy the rest of the pictures that I didn't get to load last night from our hot second in Durham!
Please send me any questions or comments for the other 2 Matthews, and I will be sure that they get them.
Later.
G


So...another look at the Chapel on the left, and Eric, Elisa and I in a self-photo at some doors to the Chapel. And finally, Eric and Elisa on the march back to the parking garage.

I was just playing around...but I LOVE this photo. It's out one of the windows on one of the doors we're standing in front of above. It turned out really cool. Yeah ME!

A look at some of the media-frenzy going on at Duke - over the lacrosse rape thing. Incidentally, I went to the bookstore to buy a DUKE LACROSSE t-shirt, to be funny, and EVERYTHING relating to Duke LaCrosse was gone from the bookstore. Just empty shelves and racks. I guess they didn't think it would be too funny.

So heading back to the van, we came across this RANDOM and high phallic statue. And not only did we find it...distrubing...but then we looked down and saw that it said 'UPLIFT' and 'MANHOOD'...

...so we took some pictures.

Fun with Elisa at the mall in Durham. Since most of the stores were vacant, we had to make up our own fun.

More fun at the vacant mall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home