Monday, November 13, 2006

My Freudian Slip

So we're in San Luis Obispo, CA and having a great time. It's a nice little town with a fun historic downtown, complete with great shopping, restaurants and movie theaters. Soon enough, I will have a full blog report, complete with pictures, of our time here in SLO.
But today, to kick off your week with a good start...I had to share with you a quick verbal flub I made the other night.
Our hotel is about 1/4 of a mile from the heart of downtown SLO. I went to see a movie the other night, and since the shuttle between our hotel and downtown was not running when I got out of the movie, I decided to hoof it up the road. I plugged in my iPod and hit the road. It was a brisk autumn night, the sky was clear and full of bright stars and the strains of Eddie from Ohio were ringing in my ears.
As I got to the gas station that is across the street from our hotel, I noticed a gentleman walking towards me...looking like he was heading where I had just come from. As I looked closer, he was making eye contact and possibly even saying something to me! So I quickly removed my iPod earphones, and said, "Excuse me?"
The gentleman smiled and said, "I was wondering if there is a liquor store in the area."
Not being from the area myself, NATURALLY, I figured it would be easy enough to say I didn't know since I wasn't from here. But for some reason, I opened my mouth and what came out was, "Actually, I'm not really here."
The man looked at me like I had an extra head growing off my shoulders. In reflecting on the situation, I'm pretty sure in that moment, since it was 12:30am or so, the gentleman was possibly wondering if I really WAS there...or if he was going crazy and talking to a really good looking spirit...loose on the streets of SLO.
Once I saw his worried face and realized what I had said, I quickly fixed it and said, "I'm sorry. I mean I'm not from here." And then I started to laugh as I put my headphones back in and started to head across the street to the hotel.
The gentleman smiled a small smile, as, what I'm thinking, RELIEF swept across his face, and turned to head down to town to find the liquor store...


I hope he found one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home