Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Fast Recap of SLO

We're still in San Luis Obispo...and we survived our days off, we survived our 2 days of shows, we survived our little rehearsal for a special version of the show we're doing in December, we survived some amazing weather (along with some not-so-hot-but-definitely-not-the-worst-weather-ever weather), and we survived the choking smell of the tar they chose to re-tar the roof of the venue with while we were doing our shows in the venue. Aaaaah, the small hurdles and challenges of life on the road!
What lies before you now is a collection of some of the photos I've taken over the past few days. I think after you review them you will be able to safely answer the following question with
the a rousing NO: Do these people ever really DO anything?
OH! And if the pictures aren't enough...and you need a little humor provided by the Japanese, then feel free to click HERE. It's not boring...and if you listen closely and practice their techniques, it COULD just end up saving your life. And you'll have Jen Morris (from Wonka 1) to thank! Thanks for the share, Jen!
Happy viewing....
G
PS - I saw like...a TRILLION movies this weekend. Anyone need a review, give me a holler. I saw: The Queen, Babel, A Good Year, Stranger Than Fiction and Confetti. ONLY avoid A Good Year. The rest we can talk about. CIAO!

So...this is my new wristband and new pair of fake glasses i bought this weekend. I love them...so I wanted to share. I'm ridiculous.

This picture is for my friend, Janie Penfield. Janie, having been to SLO before, told me I had to eat at The Apple Farm Restaurant. Since being here, I have done a breakfast and a dinner...and I can say with assurity that the breakfast was REALLY great. Like a high 8 on the MASE. Dinner was ok. Maybe a low 6. Not terrible...but not worth the wait. BUT - the cookies we got on our way out were DELISH! So yeah Janie...THANKS for the recommendation. It was enjoyed!

The big historic draw in downtown SLO is the old Mission that is here. So I spent some time on Saturday checking it out. And here are my pics.

Scenes from around the Mission.

The front doors and the interior.

Something about the bells.

A few shots from around the grounds. The one with yellow flowers was Color Accented. And the last one...I just really dig the trees out front of the Mission and around town. Cool white trunks. Albino trees, I think.

So Sunday morning...I leave for church, and on my door I leave my PLEASE MAKE UP ROOM sign. I come HOME from church...and come around the corner, and this is the formation of pillows I see on my bed. And I'm confused - to I walk around the side of the bed to try and comprehend it...and I see the PILLOWCASES folded up in a pile. Bathroom was done. Bed was made. Vaccum marks on floor. EVIDENTLY, every 2nd Sunday at the Holiday Inn Express in SLO, the guests take an active role in cleaning their own rooms. I can dig it!

Sunday after our matinee, we had a small rehearsal for our 30-minute "concert version" of the show we are doing at the beginning of December for a special thingy. Here is Rachel, showing us the script of that version. She is VERY excited to be rehearsing.

Steve during rehearsal.

Jeffrey, Roe and Tara smile - happy to be rehearsing...during naptime...on a Sunday...

More CONCERT VERSION REHEARSAL photos.

Shots from the MA B&W Collection. This series is what I like to call "Rehearsal In Progress"

We were all a LITTLE bit batty and really happy to be at the Finale at this point.

So it's hard to explain this picture. BUT - I was trying to run out of the building, and came around the corner and saw Rachel and thought I would do a funny little TRIP...but ended up FACE PLANTING down the hallway...while the contents of my bag went everywhere. Rachel saw it, and basically....THIS is her reaction. She slid to the ground and had a tough time containing herself. Maybe there was urination involved...maybe not. Regardless...I am VERY glad I was quick on the draw and got my camera.

Sunday night, Craig and Jodi went to Splash Cafe for their dinner...and saw thi mini-pumpkin cheesecake! And being the champion friends that they are, they brought it back for ME! Let me tell you about this cheesecake. The crust and the whip topping were so-so. The cheesecake portion, with its pumpkin-y goodness, was UNBELIEVABLE. But - having to take it all into consideration, it comes up as a low 8 on the MASE. But I would DEFINILTELY get it again...I would just scrape the stuff off the top and eat around the crust. THANKS GUYS! It was great!

Steve decided to get a jump on his audition portfolio for the next cycle of America's Next Top Model. He's a SHOE IN, I say.

Not really unforutnate...but VERY perplexing. Although the picture can't show it, today (when this photo was snapped), the weather was hovering SOMEWHERE between a very comfortable 68 degrees and 70 degrees. I look up and the Michelin woman is floating down the street. Complete with mint gloves. And I still don't get it. Sign me - Befuddled

And finally...I suggest if you ever find yourself in SLO...forget the Mission tour and museum and gift shop and park. Go 2 blocks to the East and check out the GUM ALLEY on Higuena Street. But don't really. Ew.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, you have it all wrong. That's not the Michelin woman. It surely must be a someone getting ready to try out for the role of the Stay Puff Marshmallow Woman for Ghostbusters 9 1/2. I hear they'll be filming in SLO next week.

Great report. I especially liked Gum Alley. I told you the manequin in the bathroom was tame!!!
- MN Cousin

P.S. I see that you have enabled "comment moderation". Too many bad jokes or worthless comments?

Tue Nov 14, 07:00:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first I thought it was a sequence ally...then I read GUM...eeww...so I can't decide if it's pretty or disgusting...lets go with pretty disgusting...Eric's reaction captures it best. -aoh

Tue Nov 14, 10:01:00 AM EST  
Blogger Janiqua Rapaj said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Apple Farm! I hope SLO was as restful as it should have been - it seems as though you saw all of the great things in town to see. Did you get to the Mall? If I remember right there's a JCPenny's, a Maurices and a Mervyns. Don't miss it! ;o)

Tue Nov 14, 10:37:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another excellent post my friend. I do see a bit of irony in the fact that you purchased fake glasses when I remember the moment that you discarded your ACTUAL glasses in basket at the Lasik place several years ago. Ironic indeed.

Fri Nov 17, 09:17:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home